Server Moving: Tips for Moving Your Server
Server rack transportation is risky and costly since furniture weights a lot and carries expensive computing equipment. It cannot be entrusted to inexperienced organizations that do not adhere to transport regulations. Hardware containing valuable data is subject to many risks. Failure of electronics, breakdowns, damage, theft of property may occur. It is difficult to foresee everything on your own.
Thus, to safely move server racks it is recommended to address a skilled logistics company. This will drastically change the situation. The company provides the guarantee of hardware safety. Devices and server furniture are delivered taking into account strict requirements, it is properly loaded and carefully transferred.
The Main Stages of Server Transportation
When transporting server equipment, the preparatory process and the development of an action plan play an important role. It is necessary to draw up a list of the hardware to be delivered, label devices to correctly install them at a new location. A close interaction between a system administrator and the logistics company is required.
The sequence of server hardware transportation:
1. Network and computing devices are disconnected from the power supply.
2. Wires and cables are disconnected. Fiber optic and twisted counterparts are labeled, packaged tightly into the shipping container to minimize the risk of deformation.
3. Optical cables are sheathed.
4. Servers are transported in a separate package. System blocks, switches are wrapped with a film, a special material that ensures the immobility of the elements during migration. Items are placed in boxes if dimensions allow; marking is applied.
5. Support legs are dismantled.
6. Delivery to the vehicle. Loaders have professional lifting equipment and trolleys to safely move heavy devices.
7. Loading and securing in the body. Special bends and other securing systems ensure maximum immobility, fix and support apparatus on the way to new premises.
8. Equipment delivery.
9. Unloading and moving to new premises.
10. Installation of racks&cabinets and the hardware accommodated in them. Power connection.
11. Setting up and starting a transported server.
Highly valuable computing hardware relocation does not tolerate mistakes. High speed, strong shaking, insufficient fixation in the body will disable equipment. Thus, a trusted company assumes responsibility and undertakes to comply with the protocol for secure transportation of valuable goods.
Nuances of Secure Transportation
Communication equipment is sensitive to any kind of shocks or external impact. Thus, apparatus require careful handling and moving. Shocks, strong vibrations, and falls inside the body are unappropriated. Pay attention to loading. Use professional carrier tools to increase efficiency:
– special platforms;
– hydraulic lifts;
Rigging technology allows you to safely and quickly move devices from the building to the car and take them out through windows.
Not all trucks are suitable for server delivery. To prepare equipment for moving the carrier specially equips vehicles with fastening systems, clamps, covers the walls with soft materials. The car should run smoothly, without jerking.
When picking a vehicle, take into account that trucks have the maximum carrying capacity. A vehicle gross weight fine can be charged if this number is exceeded.
Types of Server Furniture
Note that there are different types of cabinets. They distinguish between portable and non-portable models. Most models are supported by small legs instead of casters. This makes almost all types of server racks unsuitable for transportation and relocation. Only a few models are equipped with wheels or handles, but they carry fewer loads.
Keep in mind that modern server racks have better mobility properties but are often hard to relocate.
Additional Requirements for Safe Delivery
1. To move multiple server cabinets, packaging materials of high quality must be used. They must be capable of isolating sensitive electronics from shock to provide secure apparatus storage on the road.
2. Optimal climate conditions. Sudden temperature fluctuations, exposure to moisture, steam are unacceptable.
3. Equipment contamination is not accepted.
4. Cargo insurance. In case of damage or loss, the damage will be compensated.
5. Choosing an optimal route. A professional logistician develops and analyzes the road and provides management throughout the whole transportation period. If necessary, it will be changed if there is a risk of shaking.
6. The team of movers is professional and experienced. Moving bulky hardware requires a united team of workers.
Legislation requires clients to enter into a contract with the carrier that delivers server hardware, especially loaning goods. This serves as a guarantee of valuable data safety and confidentiality. Boxes are sealed, it is unacceptable to open or violate the integrity of the package.
Cost of Server Apparatus Relocation
The price is formed taking into account the points that the logistician analyzes:
– The number of units to be moved.
– Dimensions and weight of the equipment.
– Type of electronics.
– The remoteness of the final destination.
– The provided car, its carrying capacity, the presence of systems that fix the equipment in the body.
– Order complexity (devices will be carried out from a high floor without an elevator, through a window using a crane); the declared cargo value.
The logistician will help calculate the cost of apparatus transportation and announce the final price in advance.
Delivery of heavy, sensitive, bulky computer equipment is a responsible and complex task. Ignoring the rules of secure delivery will lead to loss of data, damage to apparatus. Hardware safety on the road greatly depends on the experience and reputation of the contractor. Renting a truck, rigging tools, a crane, and loaders is expensive but it is worth it. It is not advisable to experiment; do not try to save money on moving server devices. It is easier to order the services of skilled workers, with receiving the guarantees of device protection from the carrier.