How to Rack a Server?
Although server installation doesn’t require particular skills, it is necessary to treat the procedure responsibly to make sure that equipment will be fixed securely. Moreover, if it is your first time. In this article, we find out the answer to the question of “how do server cases mount in racks?”
Pay attention to the following points:
– Make sure that the cabinet is compatible with the server. To do this, one should be familiar with the dimensions of the apparatus and furniture. Measure your device and compare its dimensions (depth, width, height) with the ones of your rack. Keep in mind that the apparatus shouldn’t tightly fit furniture. Leave enough space from all sides of the device. The dimensions of the furniture must be several centimeters more than the dimensions of the hardware.
– Find an adapter, if the apparatus and furniture do not fit each other.
– Learn what type of holes your server cabinet has.
– Adjust rack shelves or rails to fit depth.
When the preparatory work is over, you can proceed to installation.
Now, let’s consider how to mount server racks.
1. Disassembling rails.
Vertical slide rails are used as the main fasteners. Holes are made at a certain distance from each other. In the classic variant, every three holes make one unit (1U), which is approximately 44 mm.
Disconnect the counterpart from the rail. To do this, slide the plastic catch in the direction of the arrow and pull the counterpart in the same direction while holding the rails.
2. Attaching counterparts to the device.
– Place the hardware on a flat surface. Using the screws supplied in the kit, you need to screw counterparts of the rails to the server.
– Align the slots in the counterpart piece with the device enclosure element.
– Secure each counterpart with three bolts.
– Check whether the counterpart rails are firmly attached to the server chassis to support heavy devices.
3. Attaching rails to the rack.
Mounting brackets are located on the sides at the front of the server chassis. These are components with holes that allow users to attach the chassis to a hardware cabinet. On most devices, brackets are part of the chassis, but on some models they are shipped separately, in this case, they must be immediately attached to the apparatus according to the instruction.
Chassis brackets are fixed to the cabinet rails using the special square nuts, screws, and washers provided with the M6 kit. This is a standard set of fasteners, universal for mounting any model of the device enclosure. Prevent equipment skewing.
4. Rack mounting the server.
– Extend the rails completely. In this state, they will be fixed.
– Carefully align the counterparts installed in the hardware with the rails in the cabinet.
– Push the server all the way in, but do not use force. The hardware will be on the rails, but not pushed into the rack. Make sure that the cabinet does not tip over and is firmly anchored. Slide the release latch and hide the apparatus into the furniture.
– Secure the apparatus to the rack using mounting brackets.
That’s it. We’re sure that with this guide, you understand how to setup a server with racks and do it flawlessly.
Warnings and Cautions when installing a server
1. Always load servers from the bottom up
Hardware placement in the rack is largely determined by the safety requirements. For example, heavy components such as uninterruptible power supplies, massive network switches, and storage devices are typically installed at the bottom of the furniture. In this way, the center of gravity shifts downward, and the risk of overturning is reduced to a minimum.
Equipment with optical ports is traditionally installed at the top of the rack. Not only due to its low weight but also based on the requirements of safe operation: the higher from the floor, the less dust.
The middle part is designed for crosses and patch panels. The fact is that eye level or slightly below is the most convenient part of the rack for the connection and maintenance of twisted pairs. Active equipment, such as servers, data storage systems, switches, etc., is installed below the patch panels.
2. Ensure airflow is normal
Note that the rack must be well-ventilated. Leave enough space for sufficient air circulation. And allocate apparatus depending on their heat exchange properties.
3. Consider temperature
Equip your furniture with the required ventilation system to ensure optimal temperature conditions and avoid overheating.
Now, you know how to install racks on a server and will do it correctly and safely without problems