What is a Server Rack Shelf?
A server cabinet shelf is a structure built to be mounted on a 19” server, AV, or network rack. They are usually used to hold non-server devices like switches, desktop PC, monitors, patch panels, and other gears that cannot be rack mounted.
The trays provide extra storage avenues to keep your racks well-organized and accessible for repairs and upgrades. Since they are constructed to be directly mounted onto a cabinet, they will hold extra gear alongside the ones already present on the shelf.
Types of Computer Server Rack Shelf
Network cabinet shelves come in various forms and sizes. Each shelf is designed to hold a specific type of equipment based on its weight, functionality, and need for accessibility. Here are the main types of storage trays:
- Stationary Shelves: These can fit into most cabinets and withstand even the heaviest devices.
- Adjustable depth shelves: These trays come with the flexibility to change depth, which makes it easy to fit any standard 19” shelf dimensions.
- Keyboard Shelves These are compatible with most keyboards and extend beyond the cabinet border to make typing on a keyboard seamless.
- Cantilever Shelves: These are mounted to 2-post racks and can support a variety of IT equipment. It comes with a lip to prevent gear from tipping over.
- Sliding Shelves: These slide back and forth, providing easy reach to decisions that require frequent access.
How to Choose the Right Rack Mount Server Shelf
If you’re confused about picking between fixed or a sliding tray, ask yourself these questions before making a decision:
- How often will you access the equipment? Sliding shelves are best suited for cases where you need easy access to equipment situated at the end of the rack.
- How often would you be lifting gear for maintenance or use? If often, then sliding shelves are best.
- Are you planning to store heavy devices? If so, note that fixed shelves have a higher weight capacity than sliding shelves.
- Do your devices generate a lot of heat? If so, pick a vented frame with a perforated bottom to promote better airflow.
Best Suited Shelf Based on Equipment Type
Not all shelves are meant to hold all types of equipment. Here is the perfect device-shelf match:
- Fixed heavy duty server rack shelf: ideal for desktop PC, printer, or tower servers.
- Cantilever server rack mount shelf: ideal for patch panels, routers, and modem.
- Heavy duty sliding shelf: ideal for UPS and large switches.
- Standard sliding shelves: ideal for an amplifier or stereo receiver.
- Adjustable server rack shelves: ideal for deep servers and standard switches.
- Keyboard shelves: ideal for a laptop or keyboard with a mouse.
Why Choose Sysracks Server Rack Shelf
Sysracks has an extensive range of storage structures available for homes, businesses, or large institutions. Whether you need shelves to line up several monitors in a row or somewhere to place all your network gear, our storage solutions will help you better organize your existing cabinet.
24-48 hour shipping is available on all products for quick delivery. We also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee to all customers. If you need help selecting the right shelf best suited for your data cabinet, contact us. Our support team and in-house engineers will be happy to support you!