Why to Use Portable Server Racks?
For the placement and allocation of IT hardware in data centers, specialized inventory is used. These are server racks and cabinets. They differ in the type of construction and installation. However, speaking of their mobility, all furniture is divided into movable and non-movable.
Portable server furniture is a classic model of server products that consist of posts, side walls (for cabinets), shelves. The only feature is that their constructions are equipped with casters or handles for easy and convenient product moving.
Types of Portable Models
There are three kinds of server cabinets that can be moved from one place to another:
Open-frame Portable Server Rack
This server furniture type is a rack used to install server, computer and telecommunications equipment, cables, and patch cords so that the conditions for their placement are optimal for normal operation. Also, they provide convenience and ease of maintenance of the placed equipment. The distinctive feature of this model from classic products is that portable server racks are equipped with casters or handles to ensure movability.
Server racks can have one (2-post) or two (4-post) frames. As a rule, single-frame racks are used for telecommunication hardware, while two-frame models are used for network hardware. To connect various types of devices, optical crosses and patch cords are used.
Standard mounting racks have a 19-inch bezel (including edges or lugs used to mount hardware). There are also 23-inch and 24-inch rack models in varying heights and depths for more compact IT installations and higher cable densities.
A unit is taken as a measure of height, which corresponds to 1.75 inches. For example, for a standard 19-inch rack, one U height with three holes in posts is provided.
The main advantages of moveable racks include:
– low price. An open rack is cheaper than a server cabinet of the same size;
– good cooling is ensured by the free passage of the airflow. No additional ventilation system needs to be installed since an open-frame construction ensures unobstructed air circulation;
– easy access to equipment and device maintenance when it needs to be repaired or replaced;
– portability. A small server rack on wheels can be easily transported.
Yet, such constructions also have disadvantages, mainly the low level of protection of rack-mounted devices from outsider influence and unauthorized use and a high risk of pollution with dust and debris.
A server (telecommunication) cabinet is a furniture type of closed construction. This means that a portable server cabinet is equipped with side panels, doors, and casters or handles. Doors and side walls can be perforated for sufficient ventilation, and the front door can be made of plexiglass and have a locking system. Typical dimensions for a data center server cabinet are 73.5 inches high, 23.6 inches wide, and 31.5 inches deep.
Network cabinets are commonly used to install servers, switches, routers, fiber optic patch panels, and other networking equipment. For better cooling, a fan unit or air conditioning system can be installed.
Server cabinets are characterized by the following benefits:
– have ventilated doors (without this, the inside of the product will not get enough cooling, which will lead to hardware overheating);
– use different air separation strategies such as cold or hot aisle containment and cabinet-level protection;
– have an optimal carrying capacity;
– have a certain distance between the profiles holding devices and the frame, which is necessary for the correct installation of switching systems;
– are equipped with wide cable channels and a sufficient number of outlets united in a common ground loop;
– have supports for installing the cabinet in a horizontal position;
– are movable. It is possible to transport a rolling server cabinet and change its location.
– devices installed inside such models are reliably protected from any impact from outside. Walls and doors prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to system apparatus, and cables are better protected from dirt and damage.
– In addition, the cabinet is significantly more expensive than the rack, and the limited access requires more time to operate or maintain the hardware stored in the cabinet.
To the shortcomings of enclosed models, one can list difficulties in maintenance. Since the design includes walls, it is more difficult to get access to all the devices mounted inside the cabinet. Moreover, the probability of overheating is higher if cooling is not organized correctly. Due to server rack cabinet wheels, equipment accommodated inside can be moved. Yet, the carrying capacity will be lower.
Shock Isolating Transportation Models
This is the strongest and the most reliable model among portable server models. Its construction is similar to an enclosed cabinet, but its walls and doors are much stronger. They are designed for the protection of in-built hardware during transportation. Even in the case of shocks or hits, the construction will remain solid and devices won’t be damaged, which stands as the main advantage of shock-isolation server products. Other features are the same as for the portable server cabinet.
Why should you Give Preference to Portable Models?
Portable server rack enclosure wheels are not the only benefit of such furniture. Users prefer a movable product due to the following reasons:
1. Proper space allocation. Both server racks and cabinets are characterized by functional designs. Their constructions are favorable for accommodating different sorts of devices and their efficient allocation within furniture.
2. Heat exchange. Note that computing hardware tends to produce a lot of heat during functioning. Thus, it is important to provide sufficient cooling to avoid overheating. Portable racks ensure natural air circulation, while movable cabinets provide enough space for аan system installation.
3. Furniture capacity. Although portable models seem to be less spacious, there are different types of furniture. It is easy to pick a mobile server rack or cabinet of the desired size. More heavy cabinets are equipped with handles or massive wheels, while small racks have casters.
4. Movability. The ability to quickly move and transport cabinets with all their content without disassembling is the main pro.
Still, portable models have some shortcomings, such as high cost. Prices for movable products are higher.
How to pick the Most Suitable Option?
1. First, you should decide on the amount and size of equipment to be mounted in it and installation conditions.
2. Then, an entrepreneur predicts the development of an enterprise and, as a result, the required minimum in units is obtained.
Helpful Tips for Making the Right Choice
1. If you’re going to place server furniture in public places, use enclosed models only. They will prevent devices from unauthorized invasion.
2. For closed data centers, server racks are quite suitable. They provide sufficient cooling and access to all components of the system.
3. Think about the load in advance. Pick models considering whether portable server rack enclosure wheels will carry this load.
4. Think about the way and place it will be transported. Portable racks are easier moved within one room, while cabinets (including shock-isolating models are more appropriate for transportation for long distances).
5. If you pick an enclosed portable server cabinet, consider the type of walls and their designs. Do you need perforated walls, where cables will be routed, etc.?
6. Note that the cabinet or rack should be spacious enough. Do not accommodate devices too tightly. Firstly, you should ensure enough airflow between parts. Secondly, foresee further equipment expansion in the future.
If you need to get a portable server racks we help to pick the most suitable server type that perfectly meets your needs and desires.